The next four journal quilts for the rest of the year have blue as their theme. I recently did a weekend collograph course with Sue Brown and the centre panel of this design is a scan of my small original card and tape print. I thought the shapes looked a bit like the ears of corn. The borders were added by using the pattern maker facility on Photoshop and then the whole printed onto recycled cotton and machine stitched.
I've been thinking about making a large hanging based on hellebore flowers, so this is a first sample piece.
I have a small collection of these lovely flowers in my garden and this year they were stunning - long stems, huge flowers and glossy leaves. I took lots of photographs and experimented with drawing the petals in a pentagon shape inscribed in a square. I constructed the flowers as a whole, bonded them on to a square then chopped them up and rearranged them.
They were then stitched on to a background which was stitched with hellebore leaf shapes. Initially I cut paper shapes to try it all out but then just decided to "go for it". The fabric is hand dyed cotton scollata. The piece measures 40cm square and is mounted on linen. The next step is to experiment with secondary patterns and maybe some text.
For Blogs pre March 2012 click the link below: