Initially subjects were chosen from domestic items found around the home that might fit neatly into the 2" x 6" format.
March came and the subject matter changed. I started to make portraits of noteables in the news, often politicians and these were interspersed with newspaper headlines, articles and activities mainly around my home.
Businesses shut, people were on furlough or worked from home and the irony of my chosen fabric became more significant.
I made a little applique pretty much every day. Some were more successful than others but the activity took on an obsessive quality. The images I've stitched are now a reminder of my own curtailed activities last year and what was happening around me.
My original idea was to only use the shirting poplin, but it became apparent that I needed more colour, so some fabric was also dyed and painted.
The resulting quilt consists of 366 different images and is backed with more patched shirting fabric. It was completed at the beginning of January 2021.
I will be showing it at my forthcoming exhibition in The Great Oak Hall, The National Arboretum, Westonbirt from October 5th to 10th.